Tuesday 28 February 2017

Island Batik February Challenge - Kennel quilts

My first real project as an Island Batik Ambassador is a kennel quilt. I'm going to send this to the US tomorrow, and hope that it will be used by a sweet dog in a couple of weeks.

A kennel quilt is a small quilt made to fit in a basket for animals that have survived disasters. The size of this quilt is 12"x18", it has a soft batting, and no binding. I quilted a double seam at the outerr edge to make it strong.

 I used three Island Batik fabrics in a roll, 5" width, just perfect for this project.

First I cut three stripes, 2,5"x18,5", and sewed them together.

The width now is 6,5".

 Then I cut nine stripes, 2,5"x12,5" and sewed them together.

The stripes were joined together like this. That gave just the perfect size.

For the quilting I chose a variegated spool of Superior Threads.

I used small stitches, and not so much quilting in this project.


As I don't have a dog, I had to use another animal to test this kennel quilt. Think he liked it, at least.





































Linked up to Show and Tell Monday with Bambi, Crazy mom quilts and Linky Tuesday at Freemotion by the River.

6 comments:

  1. can't believe you did it so fast! (they are small and easy, aren't they?) BTW you don't have to send to the US, local at an animal place near you or keep it until you find something!?- anyway, just a thought ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. look at..... an animal shelter

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a good idea I think I will make 2 for Helen`s cats for when they go to the vet for injections, sadly we lost Sofie Catherine`s 19 year old cat on sunday or I would have made one for her too

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nu ska vi se om jag förstått rätt. Du deltar i en utmaning där du syr något i batik (från Island) varje månad, tyg som du har beställt speciellt för detta? Är det rätt uppfattat eller? Hunddynan är jättefin och säkert jättemysigt för en hund att sova på!

    ReplyDelete

Anonyme kommentarer blir slettet.
If you comment as anonym, the comment will be deleted.